This article’s focus is to inform international students about topics regarding applying to France to study for a degree in dentistry. We focus on things like entry requirements, entrance exams, application procedures, deadline fees, and more. 


  • Generally, the curriculum for studying dentistry in France is divided into three cycles.  
  • The first cycle is the same for everyone studying anything in the field of medical and personal care.  
  • This cycle lasts two years and you are required to pass the exam at the end in order to be allowed to move on to the second cycle.  
  • In the second cycle, you are expected to complete internships and work experience, this will be a four-year-long cycle at the end of which you will be required to pass an exam.  
  • If you pass the exam at the end of year four of the second cycle you will move on to the third cycle.  
  • The length of the third cycle depends on what you will choose to study. You can go on to specialised dentistry study which can last up to four years. Keep in mind that the length of each cycle may differ depending on what university you study at. 


  • Entry requirements will differ depending on what university you are choosing to study at. To be a successful applicant you will need to have three A-Levels. The usual subjects that you will need to have taken include biology and chemistry, and in most cases, it is also useful to have taken a third science like physics. The grades should be at least BBC. 
  • You will also need to prove your English and French proficiency. To prove your English proficiency, you should take the IELTS or TOELF. For the French proficiency proof, there are also a number of tests you can take, for example, the TCF, DELF, or DALF.  


  • Depending on the university, you might be required to take a GRE entrance exam.  
  • The GRE exam tests your reasoning, writing and thinking skills. You can find plenty of resources online, put in place to help you prepare for this exam. 
  • The GRE costs about £150 to take. 


If you are from the European Union you can apply directly to the university you have to want to study. If you come from outside the EU, you need a visa to study in France, so you will need to contact the French embassy in your country to help you. 

The necessary documentation will differ but, in most cases, you will need to provide the university with:  

  • A copy of your passport or ID 
  • A completed application form. 
  • Proof that you paid the tuition fees, or, if you haven’t yet, proof that you can afford to pay them. 
  • Documents of your grades (translated into French) 
  • Proof of French and English proficiency, as mentioned earlier. 
  • Reference letter or letters 
  • A letter of motivation 


In most cases, the application deadline for universities in France is between the middle to late January. 


The yearly tuition fees for those studying dentistry in France are from £1,500 to £5,000, depending on where in France you are studying.  


Most universities in France offer scholarships for international students studying for a master’s degree or higher.  

We hope you found this information useful when it comes to deciding whether you want to study in France. If you want to read about more countries regarding this topic, please don’t hesitate to check out our other articles on this topic. 

If you are considering studying abroad why don’t you discuss your prospects and opportunities with experts at Lurnable’s dedicated study abroad counselling division LurnPathways?

Back to top